Sunday, June 23, 2013

Shanghai Museum 04052013

In the afternoon of our first day in Shanghai, we trooped to People's Square, intent on visiting the Shanghai Museum. In my research, the museum is one grand place where different sorts of artifacts are put on display. As an archaeologist, my main goal is to familiarize myself with objects from China. I think this will come in handy in excavations where we recover Chinese artifacts. Chinese porcelain still tops the list but occasionally we recover Chinese coins, like the ones we found in Intramuros in 2011.

What makes Shanghai Museum stand out is that entrance is free. (Now who doesn't like that?) The downside though is that one has to endure the long queue outside before one can enter. It is advisable then to go there early. We are still fortunate to have seen all the galleries. Still, it breaks my heart not to have had ice cream there. 
Ming and Qing furnitures made of fine lacquered wood
upper pictures: from Congo River artworks collection
lower pictures: traditional costumes and stamps
Shanghai Museum boasts of permanent exhibits on currencies used in Ancient China as well as those used in Central Asia. Most were donations to the museum by numismatists (coin collectors/ dealers/ scholars... Cool word. I'd like to become one, too). Ancient Chinese seals, furniture, Chinese calligraphy, ethnic minorites' arts and crafts, religious sculptures, and jade artworks--- these will surely take your breath away. The first time I took such pride in being Chinese, in being able to speak Chinese, was during my first trip to China in 2008 where Beijing's museums and grand palaces impressed me so much that from that time forward, I made a resolve to continue with my Chinese studies.

At the time of our visit, Shanghai Museum also exhibited art works from Central Africa. Dubbed "The Congo River, Central African Art", the exhibit puts on display the ritual wares of Congo River. The masks and sculptures, which inspire both relief and fright, trouble and serenity, reflect the ceremonies and rituals in the Congo basin. 

Another thing I love about this institution is that efforts to educate and inform visitors are obvious with the leaflets up for grabs at the entrance to each gallery. The information are never exhaustive but present a concise and brief history as well as a short overview of what the exhibit is about. This, coupled with descriptive plaques near artifacts are very much appreciated. 

Instead of buying accessories for souvenirs, I chose to buy three books published by the museum. One is on ancient Chinese ceramics (30 CNY), another on Chinese coins (25 CNY), and one on Chinese jade (30 CNY). I had wanted to buy one on calligraphy, too, but had to hold back since I had to stick to my budget. Next time I go there again, I'd be sure to buy as many books as I could. 

No comments:

Post a Comment