Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Bohol 02262014 Day 1

So finally I'm in the mood to write about my Bohol experience. An officemate and I traveled to the land of Chocolate Hills on the last week of February this year and were back in Manila by the first of March. The three and a half journey was not only an opportunity to see how resilient Boholanos are in response to the high magnitude quake they suffered and the subsequent typhoon that really wreaked havoc in Visayas.

Of all the trips, this one was a challenge for me in terms of fixing our itinerary. I was not able to go on full research beforehand and had limited knowledge of the ferry system. We initially had plans to go to Siquijor but that didn't push through because we found ourselves doing a lot in Bohol and Panglao and less than 4 days was such a bad idea. On the bright side, this gave us more than one reason to go back.

aerial view of the famous Chocolate Hills showing cracks after the quake late last year
When I went to Boracay via Kalibo with my sisters in late January, the weather was cool so I was not expecting Bohol to be hot and always sunny though I really was thankful that nights were cool. My officemate and I greatly enjoyed that one chilly night we were out late and we enjoyed looking up at the star studded night sky while on the habal-habal.

We went straight to Nisa Travellers Inn in Bohol upon arrival and after resting for a while, we went to Loay. Along the way, we passed by houses destroyed by the quake. We arrived in Loay at close to 11AM so after seeing the church, we decided to avail the river cruise with buffet lunch.

The Loay river cruise was a welcome cool respite from the super hot noon. A guitarist played well-loved songs while singing and he even sang a Chinese song! The buffet was quite a spread and I loved the fried chicken only it's too covered with batter and they look big but in fact they're just bony pieces pieced together. Despite this, I loved it.


We went to Albuquerque to see the unusual salt-making tradition they have which involves the use of coconuts to harvest salt. This was after seeing the town church. I learned of this from a foreign scholar who's into salt-making while in Angkor Wat earlier this year. I couldn't believe a foreigner knew much more about Bohol than I do so I made sure to allot time for it in this trip but unfortunately, salt-making was not in season at the time of our visit and neither was I able to buy this special salt. Locals told me they prefer the ordinary one since it's cheaper. I just hope this tradition does not die out.

Next up was Python Sanctum but unfortunately, Prony the python had died due to an illness. According to the caretaker, the pet python died in place of its master. It seemed like they believe in some kind of magic wherein the pet animal would sacrifice itself in order for its master to get cured from a certain illness. Now who says only furry animals are cute?


We then proceeded to Baclayon to see the church and the museum. Baclayon church is one of the most famous churches in Bohol due to its age primarily and also for its museum which houses religious relics, furniture, statues, and even glass items (imagine how excited I was at this discovery! I just hope they let me access their glass collection for my future research).

Near Baclayon church is a small stand which sells refreshing juices. I had the honor of having their wonderful watermelon mint shake for only P50! Take note, they use real mint leaves! While drinking I couldn't help but think of the furry friendly animals in Redwall.

Before we went back to our hotel, we dropped by Dauis to see the church there and to enjoy the sunset. Note: The place is simple yet beautiful. I'm adding it to my list of venue for my pre-nuptial photos LOL.

Dauis late in the afternoon
Before we head back to our hotel, we had early dinner at Alfonso Pizzeria. We had Margherita pizza (P170) and Sicily (P200), both delicious. Would love to go back there again. And I'd like to try the trattoria near it since the owner who is a foreigner boasts of their authentic dishes though at that time we were in a hurry.

Bohol Day 2
Bohol Day 3
Bohol Day 4

No comments:

Post a Comment