Saturday, August 31, 2013

Manila Hotel 08242013

When I arrived home after spending time at the hospital with my sister, I quickly get dressed for a formal occasion. My father was invited at a mini concert with dinner at Manila Hotel so I put on a red dress which I got as pasalubong from an uncle. (My nanny says it looked really good on me.)

I will not write about the concert since it bored me to death. Some singers were not ready and some committed mistakes and couldn't seem to keep up with musical accompaniment. So yes, I am sorry to say that it didn't manage to get a tight hold of my attention.

But the dinner was lovely, which was already the greatest consolation for me since I wasted my time that night.

Dinner started with cream of potato soup with smoked salmon relish and chive whip. This, as most creamy soups are, I find delicious.

The Caesar salad was fantastic and never boring. The greens are fresh and the dressing just enough for every bite. I especially love the generous amount of bacon bits.

Next came green mango sherbet. The thing I ate off that was the thin film of hardened caramel which luckily was not too sweet. On my first taste of the sherbet, I instantly thought of summer which I have come to associate with mangoes. Sigh. And yes, I thoroughly miss it and after that I constantly wonder when and where can I enjoy such wonderful treat.

For the main course, guests can choose between steamed lapu-lapu fillet or ballotine of lamb leg with spinach. It was a dilemma but since I seldom eat lamb, I chose the second one. It doesn't disappoint. In fact, after that night, I started looking for articles on the internet on how to make ballotines. The meat is tender and easy to chew, not to mention having just the right amount of flavor so as not to make it dull nor to make it overly flavorful. YUM!

For dessert we had Coupe Manila Hotell. Since I'm not a dessert person I'm not very knowledgeable about desserts. I find the coupe beautifully made though, visually speaking. 

To end dinner, we have a choice of either coffee or tea. I naturally had tea which smelled faintly of jasmine.

I hope I get to attend similar dinners in the future. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment