Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Siomai 08112013

Last Sunday, August 11, I was suddenly tasked to make siomai for lunch. The night before, I suggested that we make siomai for dinner but because my suggestion came too late it didn't push through.

Our househelp helped me in chopping up all the ingredients. Since I was busy, all I did was mix all the ingredients, wrap them in the siomai wrapper, and put them in the steamer.

Ingredients:
1/2 kg. ground pork
1 pc. medium-sized carrot, grated
half a bulb garlic, minced
oyster sauce
sesame oil
black pepper

After wrapping, they went straight to the steamer. Our househelp asked me how long should we steam these and I was stumped for an answer. I had to run and ask mom (LOL). She said 10 minutes will do for small ones so I decided to have it 15 minutes since my siomai were a bit big. I was able to make 19 pieces and look how lovely they were:



Of course the real test is not just in how the siomai looks but in the taste as well. When my mom cut a piece in half, she was disappointed to find the filling not holding together. She asked me why I didn't add double A powder and I was like... OOOOOPS my bad!!!

When she tasted it, she told me it lacked flavor. And then I realized I forgot to put in salt! Another OOOOOPS!

And yes, it lacked flavor. I guess I should make siomai again and make sure to perfect it the next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment