Sunday, October 25, 2015

Iraya Mangyans of Puerto Galera

When one major project ended in April this year, immediately the following day I found myself in Puerto Galera together with a deployment buddy whom I mapped Pangasinan with. On April 30 we stayed up late until midnight working on deliverables and the next day both of us are just happy to have delivered more than the minimum requirement so off we joined a 3D2N arnis training workshop in Puerto Galera, Mindoro. For the second time, I brought the four seasons tent with me on a trip.

It was my third time in Mindoro and my second visit this year, but after that I am sure I will go back there again since I have established friendship with many people from select towns in the island and am looking forward to meeting more friends there.

our tent
We set up our tents in Talipanan Beach in Puerto Galera. It takes at least 20 minutes of walking to get there from the main touristy beach by foot. That afternoon, my buddy and I just relaxed inside the treehouse while talking about the project, our hopes for it, and how our ideals led us to be heritage volunteers.

pretending to be a Watcher while looking far out in the sea for possible pirate attacks

The following day was the main highlight. We trekked to a falls and did some meditation there. The cool waters seemed like a cure to the summer heat. While waiting for food to be cooked, some of us slept inside s small cave near the falls. The awesome boodle fight lunch that followed was very much appreciated and I was happy that they accommodated my request for grilled squid. YUM!

Then we visited the Iraya Mangyan Community Village, a beneficiary of the Ayala Foundation. The Iraya Mangyans are excellent basket weavers and their works are being entered in the market by the Ayalas. The primary material used is dried nito grass. [In August I attended a weaving demonstration in National Museum and how I loved the smell of the lowly nito!]

nito baskets of various shapes and sizes and other crafts
That afternoon we finally engaged in the arnis training. We did some exercises and then the hands on practice fights which I love doing. The whole thing awakened the warrior in me whereas the the nighttime spent wading through the waters on a full moon reminded me of my role as priestess. At that point, as I was pondering on which road to take, I eventually decided to be a warrior-priestess. [Since I love watching wuxia and samurai films, I find fighting monks to be very cool because of their dual role as protector-defender and spiritual guide so I'd like to follow in their footsteps. :D]
 
Talipanan Beach at night
 On the third day, buddy and I had fun doing a continuation of our photoshoots from the previous days as we took advantage of the sunrise and early morning light which she calls magic light. By the time I got home, I already added another purpose in my life, to help protect our cultural heritage and to help support the local indigenous peoples.

A few weeks later, news of how the NCIP are betraying the indigenous peoples in various parts of the country are in the papers. It's a shame to learn that a government agency tasked to protect the IP's are instead making it easier for mining companies and other greedy corporations to take over the ancestral lands. Apparently this has been going on for many years now but lately the military has stepped in and based on the news articles I read, they even kill tribal leaders who oppose the landgrabbing activities.

******************************************
As the world faces climate change and other environmental issues which impact food production and cause sustainability problems, I believe that there is a need to go back to traditional knowledge and reestablish our ancient way of relating to Mother Nature. Western methods may seem superior on the surface but these will ultimately prove to be useless in the long run. I am hoping for a new consciousness to envelop the world, to make people realize their roots and to enable them to listen and uncover the hidden messages of Mother Nature.

Also, please buy local and help support the livelihood of the indigenous peoples, that their traditions and crafts and skills may live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment