Saturday, October 17, 2015

September 2015 Part 3

This is the third and final part of my September 2015.

The most awaited event of September is the birthday celebration of my grandmother with the traditional Mid-Autumn Festival dice game since both she and my grandfather were born exactly on August 15 of the lunar calendar but in different years. [Grandpa passed away more than a decade ago.] Theirs is a love story that is worthy of mention because my grandfather who was part of the guerilla resistance against the Japanese during World War 2, fell in love with a lady 10 years his junior, a beauty queen from San Pablo, Laguna. Ever since, he only loved that one woman. Grandma is that lucky woman. [So whenever I tell mom I don't want to marry anyone because men cheat anyway, she would always point out that that is not necessarily true because her father is the very epitome of a true man: loyal, faithful, responsible, resourceful, and very intelligent.]

Every September, since it's my maternal grandparents' month, I am reminded that perhaps true love exists. [Fat chance. I cling to just 1% hope.]

Because this year I am guilty of not spending that much time with grandma due to volunteer work and deployment, I was happy when she looked extra happy to see me on her day. That, although we'd almost always end up arguing because of our different views. Relatives can't stomach my radical views and I cannot accept their conservatism especially with regards to career paths. So I grow up relying much on myself because I cannot get even the slightest moral support from blood and kin. Knowing that I currently work as a regular employee at a well-known company somehow made them heave a sigh of relief. Many times they just shake their heads at me for wasting my potential in non-money-generating endeavors. Oh well. A wild child is always a wild child none can tame.

Grandma's birthday cake from Estrel's [kudos to my sister for taking the initiative to buy]
 So aside from the usual potluck, we had our usual dice game. The prizes range from microwave ovens to chocolates. I was lucky to get the second prize during the first round and picked the pressure cooker. I know mom would love that. As for me, I was eyeing the cookie jar and the ceramic bowl set. Except I didn't get the cookie jar which broke my heart. I was extra curious as to what cookies are inside.
my favorite nephew
Aside from the food [I love an aunt's rendition of spicy Korean wings] and the dice game, the reunion is also a chance to see nephews and nieces. Not that I am close to them but there's a particular boy I liked. I've seen him from the time he was a baby and I know that he is a kindhearted boy. He's naughty yes, but he's got a good heart. I just hope they don't spoil him that much since he's the eldest of grandma's great grandchildren.

On the 29th, we had dinner at Lucky Rainbow Restaurant together with aunts and an uncle on dad's side. It was nice seeing my Ninong and Ninang  again after so many years. I'm happy that even with the distance, we update each other on events via email. And I got what I asked for: CD's of David Garrett and Itzhak Perlman.

Other September happenings:

* I attended the AYJO concert and greatly enjoyed it, reminding me of Joji Hattori, the jovial conductor during the Toyota Classics Concert in 2012.

* Team dinner at Mango Tree Bistro in Trinoma because we had visitors. I was able to eat my favorite tom yum again. I would also recommend the steamed fish.

*  Right after our team dinner, I had round 2 with my sisters. We had late dinner date at Conti's. :)

* Team lunch at our favorite restaurant in Meycauayan, many thanks to our supervisor who is always footing the bill.

* Above was followed by a dinner date at Santouka Ramen with a friend I haven't seen in a long time. It was nice to have a little catch up meeting with a long lost friend. She was  part of the China winter tour I participated in in 2008. One day I received a message on Linkedin from her and we immediately planned to meet up. I love it when I reconnect with old friends. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment