Wednesday, November 14, 2012

11132012: Vienna Chamber Orchestra @ CCP


There’s always that feeling of redemption whenever I listen to classical music. The harmonic sounds of different musical instruments, most especially the flute, the violin, and the cello, lifts the spirits and takes one to an imagined place of bliss, even for a short temporary period of time.

And it is for that reason that I have taken an interest in classical music, boring though I found it in my early years. My fascination was heightened when I was introduced to Mozart and Tchaikovsky, the latter gaining the top spot for his intensely rich music with romantic overtones.

Last night was the first time in many years that I attended a classical music concert. This time it was only me and my dad. We attended the 15th Toyota Classics presenting the Wiener KammerOrchester at CCP. The Wiemer KammerOrchester played beautifully and well. It was also the first time that I listened to orchestral works with guitar solo and I must confess that it wasn’t much of my type. I prefer the loudness of violins and flutes; classical guitar just seemed out of place to me. Or maybe it’s because I am not at all familiar with the works of Joaquin Rodrigo. (But thanks to this concert, I now found myself exploring classical guitar.)

Photo Credit: http://www.kotse.com/home/index.php/news/item/996-15th-toyota-classics

Photo Credit: http://culturalcenter.gov.ph/single-tickets/view-event/?id=2767221


The group did three encores which gained positive response from the audience. I do think that Mr. Joji Hattori (the conductor for the night) has Strauss Jr. as his favorite composer since most of the pieces played were by him.

I guess last night was also a bonding moment with my dad. We’ve fought a lot this year and I, feeling guilty about it, am bent on making it up to him somehow. We had our very late dinner at Savory Escolta as we talked a lot about family matters. Savory has been a fave since my childhood days and a restaurant I haven’t visited in many years.  Having their original saucy pancit canton and fried chicken sure did bring lots of memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment