Saturday, May 25, 2013

Cu Chi Tunnel 03032013

On our third and last day in Ho Chih Minh, we were picked up by our tour guide for a tour of the tunnels of Cu Chi. On our first day, I was lucky to chance upon a pocket book in one of the bookstores near the Saigon Post Office. It bears the title "The Tunnels of Cu Chi" by Tom Mangold and John Penycate.

I recently finished reading the book, and I wish I had read it earlier so that I can ask questions during the tour. (Yes it took me months to finish it due to my hectic schedule as always.) The book is a comprehensive account of the role players of both sides during the US-Vietnam War, but mostly focusing on those with firsthand experience in tunnel warfare. It presents the difficulties suffered by both sides, both physical and psychological damages as well as the sacrifices made. The book explains in detail how America did not win the war despite their advanced technology.

As the authors of the book aptly put it, "The tunnels of Cu Chi have become for the Vietnamese Communists a symbol of their tenacity and endurance during the war against the Americans from 1965 to 1973. (...) The American military was fought to a stalemate by an enemy who made up in psychology and cunning what he lacked in aircraft and tanks. In order to fight that enemy in his own redoubts, the Americans had to invent a military skill that was so--- literally--- down-to-earth that its successes were due not to advanced weapons or firepower, but to simple courage in the face of the most ancient and primeval fear, following the quarry into the unkown darkness of his lair." (p.271)


Anyway, before going to Cu Chi, we were dropped off at this lacquerware factory where they sold every lacquer item imaginable from room separators to wall decors to containers, and even slippers and sandals. I myself wanted to buy a pair of footwear but unfortunately I had to stick to my budget. Things sold are extra expensive, so no thanks. Though if I did have money I might have bought something. The factory shop contributes a percentage of its proceeds to charity.

Once in Cu Chi, we listened to a short lecture cum video about the war. The lecture provides helpful information in understanding what goes on under the ground inside the tunnels. One can imagine just how much hardship the Viet Congs went through.


After the lecture, the tour starts. Traps created by the Viet Congs were on display. They're scary, yes, and I could very well imagine the American's horror when caught by these traps. Scenes of blood and gore fill my mind.

ca


Some tanks are conserved and put on exhibit like this one below:


There are also parts wherein life-size diorama are made, depicting the everyday life and activity of certain parts of the tunnel.


We got to experience gong through some 100 meters of the 200 kilometer long tunnel in Cu Chi. It was terribly difficult to move around I wonder how big burly Americans went down there during the war. It induces claustrophobia and fear of death by suffocation. And definitely not friendly with the muscles. 

In one hut at the end of the tour, one can view the traditional way of making rice wrapper. I was very much tempted to buy but again, I had to stick to my budget.


My friend and I took advantage of the free food included in the tour. It was actually just a snack of boiled tapioca with crushed peanuts and pandan tea. I ate a lot to give myself the much-needed energy to last the day. On the way back to HCMC, however, all of us were dead tired and slept inside the van.

After the tour, we asked to be dropped off at the Reunification Palace, the last establishment we have yet to see in the city.

Read about my HCMC trip HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment