Saturday, May 25, 2013

Saturdate: Salsa Verde/ UP 05112013

Two weeks ago, I met up with a friend at Farmer's Cubao. We took a jeep going to Recto along Aurora Boulevard. Our destination: Salsa Verde in Greenhills Town Center. It was not that accessible, or maybe it's just that I am not familiar with the place? The jeepney driver dropped us at Belmonte when it should have been Granada, and we had to walk a looong way to get to our target place. We should have taken LRT 2 instead damn it!


So imagine how sweaty we were when we got inside Salsa Verde. (Note: It was my first time in Greenhills Town Center and I'm happy to find that it's got many small restaurants inside. I would love to go back there and try out the food from different establishments.)



My friend had soft shell steak (P155) whereas I had 4 wings (Mango Habanero) and garlic rice (P145), plus salsa (P20) on the side. Tasted okay except the soft shell steak lacks the kick of spices that I am expecting. (I love Mexican food and I especially love the strong spices used so when I encounter mild Mexican food, I get disappointed. I do understand however, that restos would try to suit foreign foods to the local palate. This compromises authenticity which is for me a bad thing.)




I'm disappointed to find that the 4 wings are actually 2 pieces of wings halved, making it 4. It's my first time to eat mango habanero so I do not know how it should really taste, but I find the wings tasty. It's sweet and the taste of mangoes on it add a certain flavor that goes well with the chicken. (And I am hoping to replicate this at home soon.) The salsa is, in a word, summer-y. Very refreshing and you know it's made fresh.

After lunch, we headed to UP and just chatted a lot while watching people play frisbee near Quezon Hall. I miss my UP days. We both are thinking of going to back to school but haven't decided which course to pursue yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment