Monday, May 13, 2013

Game of Thrones Season 1

When I first heard of the TV drama Game of Thrones last 2011, I made a mental note to watch it. Back then, I was still a post-graduate student and the demands of the academe hindered me to allot time for leisure, as my time was torn between work and school. 

It is only this year, two years later, that I finally got to watch the series. The first episode won me over instantly. For days I found myself itching to know what will happen next. It momentarily stopped when I went to Palawan. But when I got back, I resumed watching Game of Thrones. It's now on season 3, and I still haven't procured a copy of season 2 for myself.

Game of Thrones is a fictional series narrating the struggles of noble families for power and prestige. The opening scene is set in Winterfell, territory of the Starks who are also known as the Northern Kings. Direwolf pups were rescued and given to each of the Stark children including the affable bastard son Jon Snow.

Everything started when King Robert Baratheon and family and entourage visited Winterfell to ask Eddard Stark to be the Hand of the King. Eddard's son Bran witnessed the King's wife Queen Cersei making love to her own twin brother Jaime Lannister, and was pushed by the latter down the tower, causing Bran to stay in a coma for some time. At the same time, Catelyn Tully, Eddard's wife, received a message from her sister that Jon Arryn, the former Hand, was murdered by the Lannisters. This made Eddard accept the invitation, seeing it as an opportunity to investigate Arryn's death in King's Landing.

Meanwhile, Viserys and Daenarys Targaryen need all the help they can get in an attempt to win back the Iron Throne which was usurped from their family following the murder of the Mad King Aerys Targaryen. Viserys marries his sister off to a Dothraki lord Kahl Drogo, hoping the latter would provide men and weapons to recapture the throne. Daenarys is one of the series' most interesting characters, having transformed from a meek, timid girl to a willful Khaleesi. (Spolier alert: And I almost cried when she emerged a true dragon after entering the funeral pyre of her husband, hatching the dragon eggs simultaneously.)

My Favorite Characters:

1. Jon Snow- He is the bastard son of Eddard Stark but he is nice to his half-brothers. He seems to be fond most especially of Bran and Arya. Often snubbed by Catelyn Tully who openly shows her dislike toward the bastard son of her husband, Jon Snow finally joins the Night's Watch.

2. Arya Stark- She is my first favorite female character for her boyishness. I like that she loves playing with swords, is streetsmart, and not stupid like her older sister Sansa.

3. Danaerys Targaryen- At first she seems like a pushover, but in the course of season 1, she slowly gathers a will of her own. She is compassionate and kind, not to mention beautiful.

4. Robb Stark- He's cute.

5. Bran Stark- At such a young age, he's already a great climber. I felt sad when he woke up to find he can no longer use his legs.

6. Tyrion Lannnister- This half-man/ dwarf has a sad past but still he manages to confront everyone and everything with his intellect and wit. It's not clear whose side he really is on in the political struggles, but one thing is certain, he does have a soft spot for cripples, bastards, and broken things.

7. Ghost and Nymeria- They are Jon Snow and Arya's direwolves respectively. I still wait for the day when Nymeria is reunited with her master. (I might cry a river of tears...)

No comments:

Post a Comment