Sunday, May 26, 2013

Vietnamese Food We Tried in HCMC

 Food is an important part of culture and I make t a point to eat local foods when visiting a foreign country. Not only is this a good opportunity for me to know what goes well with which ingredients for my cooking career (if ever I choose that path in the future), it also allows one to glimpse which type of food is essential in a culture.

Or maybe those are just excuses for one who is adventurous with food. Anyway, when travelling, my rule is to have a taste of food both in restaurants (just not too fancy lest I end up lacking in money for other expenses), and food sold on the sidewalks.

Pho (beef) for breakfast, our first meal in HCMC. We tried the one sold  in the streets for 30,000 VND and it was way way too wonderful to be forgotten. 

Passio coffee latte 29,000 VND, the perfect companion on hot days
Banh Trang Tron (10,000 VND) sold at a small food stall along the streets
Banh Trang Tron is served in a plastic bag and you will be given chopsticks to eat it. It's a nice food-on-the-go. It's has a crunchy texture, the noodles are brittle, and with crushed ginger and peanuts. I don't like ginger but this one's good.

mudfish and rice (53,000 VND) in one of the al fresco restaurants in Pham Ngu Lao. Delicious!

banh mi with eggs (20,000 VND) sold in the streets near Pham Ngu Lao. The bread reminds me of French bread,  hard on the outside and soft inside. This one's way cheaper than its Western counterpart. I instantly became a fan of this.

lunch set included in our Mekong River tour package

Mekong River tour afternoon snacks, included in the tour package

Pho 24's delicious (yet more expensive) beef pho (61,000 VND)

Pho (30,000 VND) again for breakfast with Vietnamese tea (5,000 VND)
Vietnamese spring rolls (35,000 VND)
Fried rice noodles with veggies (27,000 VND)
I won't say where I ate as I would like people to explore on their own. One thing's for sure, I love Vietnamese food, they're simple yet flavorful, and best of all, they don't cost much in Vietnam! :)

On my next visit, I'd make sure to eat 5 times a day and have pho twice a day. Yes, that's how much I got addicted to Vietnam's famous noodle soup.

See my first HCMC trip HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment