Saturday, May 25, 2013

Fridate: Mexican Express/ Coffee Way, Maginhawa 05242013

Had a date with a beloved friend last night in Maginhawa. She knows the place too well, having been there countless times before. I, on the other hand, the scrimping student during my UP days, would rather have packed lunch or go home to eat. (And yes I feel like I missed out a lot in my life so now a corporate slave, I go back to UP and its surrounding places every once in a while to have a feel of what I missed.)

Maginhawa--- that place that has become synonymous to food trip haven, is a long street with bends and curves located near UP, and as such, is frequented by UP students and alumni. Friuli, Tomato Kick, Van Gogh is Bipolar, Rodic's, Moon Leaf, Crazy Katsu--- these are just some of the many small restaurants that have gained a cult following. Aside from the now popular restaurants, Maginhawa is home to the secondhand bookshop Bookay Ukay, where students get literary treasures at affordable prices. 

I've been to a few (Gayuma ni Maria, Moon Leaf, Friuli, Ate Fe's Kitchen, etc.) and am hoping to get to know more (and eat more) about Maginhawa's restaurants. Last night, we visited Mexican Express. I have been bugging my friend to take me to someplace with good Mexican fare and she suggested this. Imagine my delight when I saw their giant taco (P149)! It's got no jalapeno though but one can order it as an extra item for P20 (or was that P25?).

phone cam sucks but WTH!!! Just go visit Mexican Express and they'll fix your taco cravings!
I also tried their cheese flautas, apparently my friend's favorite. She says when stumped as to what to order, she asks for these. And they're lovely! I love the texture, how it gradually shifts from slightly crispy to soft and then you get to the cheesy part. YUMMY!

After our appetizer, we went to Coffee Way. Earlier when we passed by said cafĂ©, my friend told me it´s got budget meals. Being broke (from my many travels), I just couldn't resist budget meals. I ordered Beef Pesto with tomato (P80), curiosity getting the best of me again. AND I'M HAPPY WITH WHAT I WAS SERVED!!! Pesto has always been a favorite and when cooked with beef, it simply is wonderful. (Yes, I just added it on my list of foods to replicate at home.)


I'm looking forward to trying out more at Maginhawa. It certainly is a budgetarian foodie's heaven on earth.

2 comments: