Tuesday, May 7, 2013

New Hairstyle New Life

I used to dread getting haircuts as a child. My mom was the one who cut my hair and everytime she did, there was only one outcome: I would get full bangs and short hair. With my rounded face, I would end up looking more like an Egyptian-looking siopao. I hated it. So growing up, I had a certain aversion to salons. 

In highschool, my mom finally let me decide on my own hairstyle. I vowed never again to have short hair since I have always sported one in my childhood. Since highschool, I enjoyed below-the-shoulder length of hair.

Until just this Sunday.

Maybe it's because of the sweltering heat. Sunday morning found me waking up drenched in sweat. I couldn't stand it. In the afternoon, I finally decided to get a haircut. It's been more than 6 months anyway since my last one.

Choosing a hairstyle proved to be difficult. But since the day was so hot and I was finally getting tired of tying my hair into a ponytail, I decided on a bob cut.

There are many instances in my life when I would cut my hair when depressed. The act is a form of cleansing myself, of lightening a burden. It always refreshes me after having a haircut. And so for me, it is a sacred act, not something done out of aesthetics or the like. It is a symbolic way of cutting off the negative things from my system.

Also, it helps in creating a new persona out of me. I first learned of the mystical transformation following a haircut when I saw a video from the PS game Final Fantasy IX wherein Garnet cut her hair with a resolve to be a stronger person to better protect her kingdom. In animé, this can also be found in Naruto season 1. During the chunin exams, Sakura cut off her long beautiful hair after her frustration at not being able to do anything for her comrades. These two scenes inspired me a lot. And whenever I feel the need to become a stronger person, I cut my hair.

And now sporting a short hair once again, I wish to be more carefree. I wish to be bolder, more courageous, stronger, more responsible, wiser, more enduring. I will have another haircut before I turn a quarter of a century old this year. By that time, I hope I have levelled up to a different level.

No comments:

Post a Comment