Wednesday, November 28, 2012

From Multiply 059: Jeepney Scene 3


Yesterday in a jeep to SM North, there was this girl with her mom and a boy classmate of hers with his mom. The little girl, around 7 years old had a loud irritating voice with a superior tone. She tested her classmate, "1 dibaydibay 1?"

Boy: "1."

Dibaydibay. How nostalgic! When I was young, I also pronounced "divided by" that way. Couldn't help but smile secretly. I tried hard to sleep, I really did. But...

Girl: "74 dibaydibay 74?"
Boy: "1"

And this went on with the answer always one. Until...

Girl: "0 dibaydibay 0?"
Boy: "0!"

I smiled yet again. Any number divided by 0 is undefined. But on second thought, maybe not. What about 0? And what about x/x=1? Does it mean that 0/0=1? But that's already illogical. How can there be something when you divide nothing by itself? Or, is it possible to divide nothing by nothing? Anyone who can enlighten me with regards to this problem?

My Math skills are way below average now. LOL (Gonna review my HS Math this sem break...)

Oct 15, '09 9:39 AM
for everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment