Wednesday, November 28, 2012

From Multiply 035: The Solitary Roamer


If there's one thing I'm proud of, it's that I walk fast and that I don't mind walking long distances. Having financial difficulties certainly helped forged a pair of strong legs for myself, as I have accustomed myself to walking around the campus rain or shine. Of course, no worries since I always bring with me my trusty umbrella.

Yesterday afternoon, I got off the jeep at Delta (Quezon Avenue) and used the foot bridge to get to the other side. I have promised to Rizza and Jo of Eiwa that I'll be picking up my orders at around 3 or 4pm. And at 3pm, I was uncertain as to whether I was on the right route. I've been to Tomas Morato several times but I can't seem to have gthe map in my head. Geographically-challenged, I know. And the more stupid part is that I forgot to consult the map first.

Anyway, no backing out. So walk I did. Asked a lot from security guards. Some were unreliable but some are actually quite friendly. They all told me one thing: ride a jeep since it's hot and McDo-Tomas Morato is far. But no, the fighter in me prevailed. Fight through walking. And it's been fun, recognizing familiar establishments, discovering potential food trip destinations like this Dampa I saw. (I've never tried eating in a Dampa and I'd like to try.)

At 3:15, feeling lost and on the verge of giving up, I called Jo. After that, on my way again. And thank God I got to my destination!

And then I'd find out that I could have asked the jeepney driver to drop me off at Roces instead of at Delta. From Jo's house, one can walk some less than 100 meters and one can already ride the jeep going to Roces Avenue!

It was tiring but it enriched me true enough. Kinda embarrassed though, coz I was totally drenched in sweat. And of course, carrying a heavy backpack somewhat slowed me down. Not to mention the umbrella and the lunch bag I have in hand.

It's not the first time that I roam on foot. My first solitary wandering was in Quiapo. From there, I got to Chinatown, to Binondo, and unwittingly, to Divisoria. Fascination and curiosity kept me going and it's fun seeing what goes on in these boisterous places.


Jul 9, '09 12:43 PM
for Miracle's friends, Miracle's family and Miracle's online buddies

No comments:

Post a Comment