Friday, November 30, 2012

From Multiply 095: Some Movie Reviews Part 2


Still busy with a lot of things and i'm in danger of incurring another INC but anyway, here I am watching and writing about movies again. I watched some of the ff before leaving for Batangas. A few days after my arrival in Manila, I resumed watching. Okay, one more requirement to go. Fingers crossed.

Perfect Getaway is a thriller adventure about a psychologically disturbed couple who murders other couples in an attempt to steal their identities. Lousy movie and I am not happy with Mila Jovovich’s performance here, that is, at the start. Towards the end though, the film started to become interesting.

Avatar is one of those movies that deserve to be shown in theaters every once in a while. I would doubt if anyone would get tired of watching it. It has become an instant favorite of mine. Well, I like the story, I like the theme and I like the message of this movie. Basically about protecting the environment, respecting other cultures, no to war and all that stuff. On a deeper level, one can discuss hyperreality, the mind-and-matter dichotomy, speculative fiction, advanced technology and mysticism. This is probably the best movie I’ve watched this year and I regret the fact that I wasn’t able to watch it in theaters; I could’ve had a blast.

Clash of the Titans opens with a very impressive graphics display and I was instantly awed. I thought to  myself, this is one movie I’ll certainly enjoy. That, aside from the fact that I’m a sucker for mythology and epic movies where battles are what I really wait for. I was glad to have had copied lots of movies from my classmates and volunteers during the fieldschool. (And I so damn wish that I had an external HDD with 500GB memory…)

Mon trésor, which I had thought was a French film, is actually a Hebrew film. It tells the story of a woman and her daughter who are forced to become prostitutes because of poverty.

Gouttes d’eaux sur pierres brûlants is a French film about sex and power. Leopold controls the people around him by means of sex, to the point that his male lover drank poison to kill himself when the latter realizes that the old man has lied to him all along.

Gulliver’s Travels, starring Jack Black, is a modern day retelling of the children’s classic novel of the same title. It tells the story of an ordinary guy who lies his way to impress the girl he likes. While on an assignment, he accidentally lands in Lilliput where he becomes a GREAT BIG MAN. Later on he realizes that size and greatness are relative and that what matters most is the heart.

Mala Educación is for me a very postmodern film with lots of brilliant twists and unexpected events, aside from lots of nudity and sex. A beautiful movie concerning the LGBT and identity, not to mention church abuse, psychological trauma, hypocrisy, and revenge.

True Grit stars a Fil-Am girl in this 2010 remake of the classic film. Girl sets out to find her father’s murderer and joins the grownups in the hunt in unknown territories. Nice film with some boring parts. Hailee Steinfeld is cute with her braided hair.

Taking Lives is not what I plan to watch. It’s supposed to be Salt: New Era also starring Angelina Jolie. Thank you, pirated DVDs! (insert sarcasm) Anyway, this turns out to be a good thriller with some CSI stuff in it making it more appealing. It’s about a guy who’s wanted for several murders. FBI agent Illeana falls for the guy without knowing he’s the murderer. In the end, she killed him. And a nice trick she pulled on him.


May 28, '11 12:05 AM
for Miracle's friends, Miracle's family and Miracle's online buddies

No comments:

Post a Comment