Wednesday, November 28, 2012

From Multiply 033: Jeepney Scene 1


I'm gonna start writing about anything that I experience while riding the jeep. I won't write about usual stuffs like when that annoying jeepney driver doesn't want to give discounts to poor students like me, or the fact that it's sometimes that jeepney driver's fault that I arrive late for class despite my efforts to wake up early HMP!

Yesterday, there was this old couple who sat facing each other. The old man wanted to smoke but his wife told him not to and just wait until they get off. I smiled inside. I hate cigarette smoke. I always have this malicious thought of eradicating all the smokers in the world. And I'm glad there are people who can stop smokers from spreading their abominable disgusting smoke.

After some time, that same woman brought out a pen and finding it wouldn't write anymore, dropped it at the back of the seat. And I had judged er to be good far too fast. One of the vices of Filipinos (criticize me for this if you want but look around you and you'll find that what I say is true) is that they don't care for the environment. How many times have I seen commuters throwing stuffs into the streets? At least, here, it's just inside the jeep. But don't they think that the jeepney driver will have to clean everything at the end of the day??? Really apathetic, the Filipinos are.

It reminded me of the time when I became a "basurera" in high school. I would pick out papers, cups, plastic, anything that I see scattered on the grounds, I pick up and throw in the trash can. Why I did it? Not out of love for my school. I don't have the slightest fondness for it. Rather, it is born out of my love for Mother Nature. But I tire easily. It's not my job to clean everything. I do practice proper waste disposal myslef. It just enrages me to think that we inhabitants of the earth don't have any concern for the environment.

Is this a Filipino vice? Well, Chinese people tend to spit anywhere, too. (Based on what I observed during my trip to China.) And we complain when we experience the wrath of nature. Who's really to blame? I won't answer that for you.

Jul 1, '09 7:16 AM
for everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment