Monday, November 12, 2012

Sagada Adventure 2012

I can still remember in February this year being all excited with my horoscope forecast for the year 2012. It said that this year will be a year of travel for me. I just raised my eyebrows and thought bitterly, how can I go visit places when my parents are super strict?

And yet early this month I was able to join the trip to Sagada with my graduate school classmates and their friends. We departed from Manila on November 1 in the evening and spent 10 hours inside the bus sleeping, occasionally waking up during stopovers to heed nature's call.

The following day, we arrived at Bontoc and experienced riding on top of a jeepney. It was super fun. Strong winds blew through my hair. Fresh mountain air made my lungs happy. And the most important thing in every trip--- a cheerful company who has a sense of humor.

We had breakfast at Masferré where I ordered yoghurt with fresh fruits. The place is wonderful, it reminds me of those little village houses in Western movies.

We viewed the hanging coffins of Sugong. The massive limestone formations, already grayed due to exposure to elements, were not that eye-catching but its simple beauty was magnificent. Its silence strongly demands respect and awe. (And I super regret leaving my camera at the inn.) According to our tour guide, only members of the royal elite with descendants can be buried there.

Next we visited the Lumiang cave burial site (and again, no photos, which is SAD). There's a connection to Sumaguing Cave and I made a mental note to myself to try the Cave Connection Adventure next time. The wooden coffins were made from hollowed out trees, and the deceased was buried in a fetal position. It reminded me of the Kabayan mummies in Benguet, which unfortunately, we were not able to visit due to lack of time.

The highlight if this trip would have to be our exploration of Sumaguing Cave where different formations delight the eyes. I remember watching a local documentary show featuring this cave years ago. Back then, I told myself someday I would also see for myself the beauty of that cave. Our tour guide, Rocco, had a wonderful sense of humor which made us enjoy the activity. My favorite part here is the rope part just before we have to hit the cold waters inside the cave. I felt like a monkey. In fact, my companions laughed at me a lot because I have weird climbing techniques---- either on all fours, or rolling over.

After that wonderful spelunking experience (my first ever), we went back to the inn, took a bath, then off to hunt for dinner. We initially wanted to dine at Yoghurt House but seeing the place full, we proceeded to Salt 'n Pepper Diner where I had a meal of Rosemary Illutum (roast chicken) and rice. It was delicious and affordable at P150.

The following day, we woke up early to catch the sunrise at Kiltepan but to no avail because of the thick fog. We saw Bokong Small Falls, had a quick lunch at Yoghurt House where I ordered Singaporean style noodles which was disgusting. How unfortunate that the first two items on my list to order there were not available!!! My stomach cried bitterly.

In the afternoon, we had a quick meal at Alapo´s Kitchenette. The price of the food is cheaper here and we were surprised to find that it´s delicious. Yoghurt House is overrated!!! -> I thought to myself. We bought souvenirs and went to the Church of St. Mary the Virgin which was closed at that time. We also  visited the Ganduyan Museum and were impressed by the owner Cristina Aben who tapped into her creativity very late in life and yet produced wonderful artworks. We were in futile search of William Henry Scott's library. I would have loved to see his book collection!

We hoped to catch the sunset at Danum Lake but it rained and the fog was thick (again) so we decided to have our campfire dinner somewhere inside an old abandoned structure where our tour guides prepared their native pinikpikan for us, boodle feast-style. Pinikpikan easily became one of my fave foods! The smell and taste of roast chicken can be savored in the broth. Simple meal but very tasty!

The following morning, we had to leave for Baguio where we had lunch. Then off to Victory Liner to buy tickets bound for home.

All I can say is that 2 days in Sagada is not enough. I want to go back and interact more with the locals. I want to explore their land more and study their culture, more so their language Kankaney.









2 comments:

  1. Wooooow! Sagada sounds really fun! Gusto ko din! Great entry, senpai! I'll check out the places you mentioned if and when our Sagada trip pushes through. ♥

    ReplyDelete