Wednesday, November 28, 2012

From Multiply 037: EL 197


When I first saw the topic for this semester's EL197 (Special Topics), I was so sure I wouldn't take it for the simple reason that I am not at all interested in the Spanish Civil War, which BTW, is this sem's topic. I admit that even after taking two Spanish history courses, I still can't comprehend what the heck caused that stupid war that claimed the lives of many people. All I know is that the dictator Franco played a major role in this war an after the Nationalists emerged victorious, he was made the head of the state.

Let me make this very clear. I love history, and I loathe it at the same time. Having a fragile memory where information does not stay long, I have great difficulty remembering the names, works, dates, and other historical stuff. But I do LOVE controversies. And history has lots of them. I've never taken any Kas subject since I started college but I can very well participate in discussions concerning the Philippine history, though I may be fully handicapped when it comes to modern world history.

And aside from the controversies, I also am interested in the history of teh Catholic church, how such an institution has withstood the tests of time and still continues to exist to this very day. Since the Medieval Age mostly rely on religion, that's pretty much my forte. From the crusades to the inquisition, to the discovery of the New World, all of those capture my interests. Of course, I am not pro-Church since the clergy had been hypocrites, shedding blood of fellow human beings when Jesus Christ commanded us to love one another. (I'd hate to digress, but I have to explain this.)

So anyway, in the end, I ended up taking that EL 197 course. The professors forced it on me after seeing a Philo114 subject which is an elective for Philosophy students. The only way for me to get that subject is if I agree to take the EL 197 class. Okay, whatever. Just another boring subject which I'd surely flunk.

But it turned out alright. Sir Wystan has a reputation of being a humbug, too proud of his achievements and almost always narrating stories of his life in class. That's according to acquaintances who had him as a prof. And he really is, no doubt. But I guess he has reason to be, coz he's very well-informed about different subject matters. And now he certainly has earned my respect.

We have lots of class projects, one of which is the Biblioteca por la paz, a book exhibit in FC gallery 1 about the Spanish Civil War. We had to find books, make summaries, set up the whole place, etc etc. It was hard work, and got in the way of our theses, but it was fun. I must thank Sir Wystan personally since becasue of this project, I felt compelled to visit the stacks at the Main Library and I found TREASURES!!! Now, I think I can spend my free time there, instead of at Botor Lib.

Jul 31, '09 9:15 AM
for Miracle's friends, Miracle's family and Miracle's online buddies

No comments:

Post a Comment