Wednesday, November 28, 2012

From Multiply 029: Third Camping: Makiling, Laguna


May 8, 2009

For the completion of my CWTS Military Science class, I attended the camping activity. The night before, it rained so hard that I thought it might be postponed so I half-packed my things. The next day, I told myself, camping or no camping, I’m gonna bring all these stuffs to school, just to be on the safe side. Good thing my efforts are not in vain.

I arrived at 10:15 for my French class. I’m so darn embarrassed coz I always come in late. My prof must be boiling inside. We watched several documentaries and short films in German class, some of which I didn’t bother to watch. I fell asleep, couldn’t help it.

Super thanks to Louis for helping me carry my bags to the waiting shed to ride an Ikot jeep. After that, I was all on my own. Three heavy bags on one small girl. Whew! My determination has never failed me.

Maxell and I were seatmates in the bus. Another conspiracy from my groupmates. I have a suspicion it was Marvin who headed that. I didn’t get to sleep. Maxell and I just talked about random stuffs. At least, I wasn’t bored.

The rain bid me change to emo-mode. I love the rain.

After a nice dinner of adobo and rice, we went out for an exercise in night navigation. I think we’re actually better at nighttime than in daytime coz we were able to find the points without much difficulty.

Bea, Kristine, Maxell and I played charades while majority of our groupmates were having a good time with alcohol and chips. (So glad my groupmates whom I am close to don’t drink, otherwise, I’d be left out again, like during my previous camping experiences.) Couldn’t sleep at night. Getting itchy all over and somebody’s snoring loudly. (Turned out to be Mars. Peace, man!)  I slept between Deng and Kristine.

May 9, 2009

 I was the first one in our group to sit up on the first call. My head hurt a lot. We’re trekking Mount Makiling and I hate being groggy and sleepy but I had no choice but to follow. (I have to remember to bring sleeping pills with me when camping.) After a quick breakfast of ham and eggs, we set out to change into outdoor clothes. No more taking showers as it was so cold I had to put on my jacket.

I dragged myself silently. I was nervous. Thoughts of slipping and breaking bones and accumulating injuries invaded my mind. But never mind. I trust in God, I put my everything in His hands. After a quick lunch, we were told to put on our slings. At that time, I was already in a foul mood. They were telling all sorts of jokes. I had a hard time keeping up because I was too nervous. I didn’t want to lose my focus on the trail. I felt like I was being left out. I’m so sorry to Rufus for being a snob. He was the only one who cared for me during the trek but I kinda vented my frustrations out to him. We waited for a long long time, it seemed like hours actually, before we could get to rappel down. I wanted to go back to the camping site already so I could get that much-needed sleep. But I had to endure everything. My patience was running out. All of a sudden, the Heavens shed tears, beautiful tears. It’s as though it connected with my heart. I wanted to cry out but I was already drained of energy, and the skies wept for me. It gave me renewed hope. It brought me back to life. Sunlight slowly crept in while it’s still raining. A breathtaking sight to behold which left me too stunned to speak. Call me emo, call me whatever you want. But this is proof that humans cannot be my best friend; they cannot be relied upon.

My turn to rappel down finally came. Thanks to Sir Alfie who somehow diverted my attention. I wasn’t afraid one bit while going down. Sir Phil joined me later on.  I saw my groupmates but I didn’t talk to them. I wasn’t in the mood for empty talk. I wanted to be out. FAST. Without minding anything, without hearing anything, without seeing anything, I went on, following the trail, sometimes even going out of the way but I kept on going. For the first time, I felt so independent. I felt like I could do anything. And then I realized that I, the last one down, had overtaken all my groupmates. Nieves and Krystle did catch up and on ahead of me in the end. I only talked to them when we were on the road. My heart was full of happiness and joy despite the sufferings I underwent. FINALLY! And I’m proud to say I didn’t slip, not even once. I got myself dirtied when I sled down to the road out though.

Tests of patience not yet over. We all had to wait for our turns in the CR. No time to rest after my bath. Deng, Tine and I were assigned to wash the containers and we did that while the others were knocked out. Thanks to Rufus for helping us out.

Had a singing contest afterwards. Congratulations to Nieves for being the Best Performer. Really, I notice her efforts to make our group at par with the other groups. And thanks to Mars and Sophia for being our representatives. You guys may not win anything but your participation was priceless. Later on, Bea and Mars dominated the karaoke while many of us went in groups to do something. Maxell, Tine and I joined them after hearing Bea’s beautiful execution of “My Sharona”. She should’ve participated! I’m serious, her voice is meant for karaoke!!! I did “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing”, my favorite song, but I was kinda shy so I withheld my true rocker nature. Bea did give me moral support, though. (Thanks, Bea! I enjoyed that one with you.) Then off to sleep. So darn exhausted I immediately fell asleep which was a nice thing.

May 10, 2009

Woke up because of the cold that crept in. I took out my jacket and put it on. BRRRR! Woke the others up and went back to sleep  myself. I felt so dizzy and I wanna throw up.

Quickly changed to our uniform t-shirt. And then we found ourselves on the way to find the points. We started off nicely until arguments and disputes arose. Really, it’s more tiring to see all of them bickering. Some preferred to just shut up so as not to aggravate everything. As for me, I didn’t have the energy to join in. As usual, I decided to keep a safe distance from my groupmates. I don’t know why, but my instincts tell me to do so. Everybody’s being cranky, myself included. I wanted to enjoy myself but I couldn’t help being affected by what others were feeling. Sorry but I didn’t care much about the competition. I’m gonna do my best but it is not in my interest to force myself or others to really win. Games like these are fun but once one gets too competitive, it’s hard to enjoy.

I hope I won’t offend anyone but I have to be honest about this because I have very good reasons to be annoyed. Being in a forest is not play. It is a matter of survival. But some people either are too selfish or too simple-minded to realize that. Imagine a soldier going to a battle without a single weapon at hand or food provisions inside his bag. Some of us did bring backpacks but I don’t know if they brought water with them. I hate to say this but I’m going to, so that the next time these people hike in the mountains, they’ll have enough sense to bring what is essential. One doesn’t expect to see vendors selling bottled water in the forests! And I’m gonna mention something unpleasant, too, but no names.

1.    If you have a runny nose, you should’ve brought your own tissue paper.
2.    Make sure you have drunk your water to the last drop before you ask some from others.
3.    If you’re gonna drink, it doesn’t hurt to ask permission from the owner.

Anyway, it’s all over now. It's all in the past now. We did get the Best in Practicals award. Congratulations again to Nieves for her spectacular performance.

Guys, you’re really fun to be with. But please don’t make fun of others that much. I’m gonna miss all of you. Thank you, guys, for such a wonderful summer. Each and every one of you somehow contributed to lowering my fear levels.

I was supposed to arrive home with a smile on my face. But darn it, the bus was already full and it was still taking in commuters. I had a hard time getting off. I was already cursing under my breath. I sounded rude to the people but it’s also their fault for blocking the way. I know it’s already late and they all want to get home as soon as possible but honestly, I don’t think it’s a good idea to make other passengers uncomfortable. I was oh so looking forward to eating lasagna coz my mom told me she left some for me but when I got home, I’d find out that my dad had already eaten it. Okaaaay. That’s the last straw. I felt like crying.

The following day, I was in a foul mood. Depression's kicking in.

May 12, '09 7:36 AM
for Miracle's friends, Miracle's family and Miracle's online buddies

No comments:

Post a Comment