Wednesday, November 28, 2012

From Multiply 056: I Should've Studied German...


So I like this guy in my STS class. The first time I saw him, I thought there's something different in him. He looks like a nerd, a really brainy person with refined taste and matured disposition, though it is evident that he's younger than me. He looks very familiar and his name sounds familiar. I wonder where I've seen him before...

I notice that the moment he arrives, that's the moment our beloved prof Dr. Fidel Nemenzo would start the class. He must be someone special, for Dr. Nemenzo to take notice of him and engage him in conversations before and after class. Just last week, our prof introduced him to the lecturer for the day Prof. Maria Diokno of the History Department and I must say that she was pretty much impressed with this young man.

He sits right in front of me. I like it when he leans on the chair. I would then rest my head on the table just to catch a sniff of him. He smells nice. No overpowering perfume, just a slight hint of baby cologne I guess which gives a mild scent, a gentle scent that reminds me of angels for unknown reasons.

He surprises me almost every meeting. He's  what I call a real jack of all trades. I was surprised when he translated a German sentence into English. I, who had taken up German 10, took a long time to find the English equivalents of the German words. He beat me to it and I was ashamed of myself. Me, a supposedly lover of languages, but wait, yeah I love languages but it does not necessarily follow that I'm good at them. I'm just a pathetic mediocre nerd-looking gal with a crazy mind.

And then I would learn that he used to study music in Munich, Germany. So that's where he learned German! And then I would learn that he's well-known because of his being a virtuoso violinist. And then I would learn that he's got a musician and a politician for his great grandpa and grandpa respectively. And then i would learn that he's also a math wizard and likes writing literary stuff.

And then I noticed my mediocrity, and my indifference towards my passions. And then it dawns on me that at my present age, I won't be able to surpass him, he having such great accomplishments and distinctions even in Europe.

He inspires me. I don't intend to compete with him. I never see meaning in competing with people other than myself. But I really am inspired by what I learned about him, and it's enough to give me all I need to somehow surpass my present pitiful state.

And he is my crush. He is my classmate. He sits in front of me, but we never talk. Perhaps one of these days, perhaps never at all. But I really want to see him smile. He looks just like the very picture of an innocent angel.

Now if only I had picked German as my major... I could have easily engaged in a conversation with him. SIGH!


Sep 16, '09 11:32 AM
for Miracle's contacts

No comments:

Post a Comment